'Sexually Harassed' by BJD Member, Woman Attempts Self-immolation Outside CM Patnaik's Home
Security personnel deployed outside Patnaik's home, Naveen Niwas, rescued the woman and sent her to hospital where her condition was stated to be stable.
Image for representation. (Image: PTI)
Bhubaneswar: A woman, who was allegedly sexually harassed by a BJD candidate, tried to immolate herself outside Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik's residence on Wednesday, police said.
Security personnel deployed outside Patnaik's home, Naveen Niwas, rescued the woman and sent her to hospital where her condition was stated to be normal.
"Though she poured kerosene on her body, security people did not allow her to set herself on fire," the Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Bhubaneswar, Anup Sahoo, said.
The woman alleged that she was sexually harassed by Srinath Soren, the BJD candidate of Udala assembly constituency in Mayurbhanj district.
She claimed that though she had lodged a complaint with the police, her grievance was not addressed.
Soren, on the other hand, rejected the allegation and claimed that he did not know her.
"This could be a conspiracy against me by my political rivals," Soren said.
Though she poured kerosene on her body, security people did not allow her to set herself on fire," the Deputy Commissioner of Bhubaneswar (DCP), Anup Sahoo, said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- This 91-Year-Old Couple's 72nd Wedding Anniversary Photoshoot is Melting Hearts Online
- In Pursuit of Love, World's Loudest Bird Sings Heart out in 'Theatrical Swivel'
- BCCI President Has Not Spoken to Me on MS Dhoni: Virat Kohli
- 'Total Entertainment': Ravi Shastri's 'Iconic Line' on Team's Philosophy Takes Twitter by Storm
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge