Shaktikanta Das Warns Amazon not to be 'Flippant' About Indian Symbols
Remain committed to economic reforms, ease of doing business & open trade. Sometimes get touchy when our icons are involved, Das tweeted.
File Photot of Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das addressing the media at North Block in New Delhi/ PTI Photo
New Delhi: India remains committed to open trade barriers Economic Affairs Secretary Shaktikanta Das has said but warned e-commerce giant Amazon against being "flippant" on national symbols and icons.
"Remain committed to economic reforms, ease of doing business & open trade. Sometimes get touchy when our icons are involved," Das tweeted on Sunday hours after he hit out against the company for selling flip-flops with the image of Mahatma Gandhi.
Last week, after a strong protest by India over Amazon selling doormats depicting Indian flag, the e-retail giant removed the offensive article from its Canadian website.
The e-commerce company reportedly has yet again put up another product which is objectionable and hurts Indian sentiments.
Earlier in the day, Das in his personal capacity tweeted as Indian citizen that Amazon should desist from being flippant about Indian symbols and icons.
"Amazon, better behave. Desist from being flippant about? Indian symbols & icons. Indifference will be at your own peril," he tweeted.
"Comment on Amazon was as a citizen of India as I felt strongly about it. Nothing more should be read into it," Das said in another tweet.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Hina Khan Accused of Rs 12 Lakh Jewellery Fraud; Actress Calls It a 'Tactic' of Her Haters
- Suzuki Burgman Street 125 Scooter Launched in India for Rs 68,000
- Munna Bhai 3: After Playing Sanjay Dutt in Sanju, Ranbir Kapoor to Replace Arshad Warsi as Circuit?
- Vivo NEX India Launch: Elevating Front Camera, Priced at Rs 44,990 And Available from July 21
- End of the Road for Affordable Android Phones? EU's Record Fine on Google May Hit Prices