'Shandilya' Giriraj Singh: Union Minister Prefixes 'Gotra' to His Name to Save Sanatana Dharma
Singh, who represents Nawada Lok Sabha seat in Bihar, also asked Hindus to follow the practice.
File photo of Union Minister Giriraj Singh (PTI)
Patna: Union minister Giriraj Singh announced on Monday that he shall be prefixing his ‘gotra’ to his name and, henceforth, be called “Shandilya Giriraj Singh” as he asked Hindus to follow the practice to “save” Sanatana Dharma.
The senior BJP leader, who represents Nawada Lok Sabha seat in Bihar, took to Twitter to make the announcement.
"To save the country, Sanatana has to be saved and to save Sanatana, we will have to tread the path shown by sages and seers and attach ourselves to our respective Gothras. From today, I change my name to Shandilya Giriraj Singh, after Rishi Shandilya. I request all Sanatanis to prefix their Gothras to their names", Singh tweeted in Hindi.
Singh, the Union minister of state (independent charge) for micro, small and medium enterprises, is no stranger to controversial comments.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- India vs West Indies | 'All Credit to Team' - Kohli on Surpassing Ganguly's Record
- Saltwater and Metal-Eating Bacteria: How the Titanic is Slowly Being 'Consumed' By the Ocean
- Apple Watch Saved This Woman's Life by Detecting Atrial Fibrillation And Possible Stroke
- The Royal Enfield Twin Endurance Render Puts All The Right Ideas Into Our Heads
- Coming Out of Closet is Better Than Hiding My Relationship: Dutee Chand