Sharad Yadav Remains Defiant on 'Sexist' Comment, NCW Issues Notice
enior JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav on Wednesday defended his comment comparing a woman’s ‘honour’ to a vote and claimed he has said nothing wrong.
Rajya Sabha MP and Janata Dal (United) President Sharad Yadav/PTI
New Delhi: Senior JD(U) leader Sharad Yadav on Wednesday defended his comment comparing a woman’s ‘honour’ to a vote and claimed he has said nothing wrong.
Speaking to CNN News18, Sharad Yadav said, "I have said nothing wrong. People should worry about their vote as much as their daughter. Only then the country will progress."
"We have been saying this for past 25 years. All I want to say is vote is the engine/ driving force of the Constitution. Love and respect for vote and daughter should be the same. Everyone has a perspective," he added.
The National Commission for women (NCW) has issued a notice the leader for his comments. Earlier, National Commission for Women (NCW) chief Lalitha Kumaramangalam said a notice will be issued to him asking him to appear before the commission.
"Over and over he has done it. It has nothing has to do with politics. There are so many people like with him who demean women. We feel very strongly about it," Lalitha said.
Addressing a gathering of party workers in Bihar capital Patna on Tuesday, Yadav had said, “Beti Ki Izzat Se Vote Ki Izzat Badi Hai (The honour of vote is much above a daughter’s honour).”
"People are misinterpreting it. This is incorrect. I only said vote is the driving force of the constitution. Everybody has a different perspective of things. I can't help it," Yadav said, defending himself.
Yadav further clarified his remarks and said, “There is a saying that vote and beti are both important Only then the country will progress.”
Recommended For You
- Farhan Akhtar Feels Great as He 'Bumped' into Rumoured Girlfriend Shibani Dandekar, See Post
- Deepika Padukone-Ranveer Singh Wedding: Bollywood Sends Its Best Wishes to the Newlyweds
- #ThisIsNotConsent: Women Are Tweeting Pictures of their Underwear, and you Should Pay Attention
- From His Exes to How He Told Parents About Neha Dhupia’s Pregnancy, Angad Bedi Bares It All
- Saregama Carvaan Premium Review: Old World Charm is Undeniable, And is Smarter Than Before