Sharjeel Imam to be Produced Before Delhi Court, Lawyers Raise Slogans Calling Him Traitor
Sharjeel Imam was arrested on Tuesday for making allegedly inflammatory speeches at the Jamia Millia Islamia University here and in Aligarh.
Delhi Police Crime branch takes JNU student Sharjeel Imam. (Image: Twitter/ANI)
New Delhi: Situation at Patiala House Courts Complex remained tense on Wednesday after Delhi Police informed that Sharjeel Imam, arrested on sedition charges, will be produced before the magistrate here.
Imam was arrested on Tuesday for making allegedly inflammatory speeches at the Jamia Millia Islamia University here and in Aligarh.
He reached Delhi on Wednesday and is going be produced in the Patiala House court, the police said.
Some lawyers raised slogans against him and made posters calling him a 'traitor', demanding that he be hanged.
Heavy security was deployed outside the courts premises with about 20 police personnel including the CRPF officials.
One of the lawyers said, "We Are here to protest against those who talk about breaking the country. All the lawyers are united against such traitors. He does not deserve to be outside jail. Strict action should be taken against him."
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ahead of Festival, Indian-American Entrepreneur Launches 'Holi Ghee' to Pay Homage to Desi Sweets
- A Wall, Whiter Taj and Stink-free Yamuna: The Many Ways India is 'Cleaning Up' to Welcome Trump
- Video of Sidharth Shukla Sweating it Out in Gym Post Bigg Boss 13 Goes Viral, Watch Here
- PUMA x FIRST MILE: Puma Have a New Sportswear Collection Made From Recycled Plastic
- Brisbane Student Offers Rs 950 to Kill Cockroach in His Room, Are You up for It?