Sitaram Yechury Submits Report on Kashmir Visit in Supreme Court in Sealed Envelope
he apex court had permitted Yechury to go meet Tarigami, a four-time former MLA, after he filed a habeas corpus petition.
File image of Sitaram Yechury (Image: PTI)
New Delhi: CPI(M) general secretary Sitaram Yechury on Monday filed an affidavit in the Supreme Court giving details of his August 29 Kashmir visit during which he met his ailing colleague Yusuf Tarigami, party sources said. The affidavit was submitted in the court in a sealed envelope.
The apex court had permitted Yechury to go meet Tarigami, a four-time former MLA, after he filed a habeas corpus petition.
Sources said the affidavit gives details of Tarigami's health condition and stresses on the need for him to visit AIIMS, where he was being treated. It also talks about the situation in Kashmir which has been under heavy security cover since August 5, when the government abrogated the state's special status under Article 370.
Yechury had attempted to visit Tarigami twice earlier, only to be forced to return from Srinagar airport.
It was only after the Supreme Court directions that the CPI(M) general secretary was allowed to step out of the airport on August 29.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Alia Bhatt Shows Off Pet Photography Skills with Pics of Her Cat and Ranbir Kapoor's Dogs
- Kane Williamson's Adorable Doggo Pulling off a Stunner in the Slips Will Make Your Day
- Keep Calm and Watch Ramayan: Memes and Nostalgia Breaking the Internet After Episode 1
- That 5G iPhone You Were Looking Forward To May Not Come Any Time Soon
- From Ajay Thakur to Jitender Kumar: Indian Athletes on Police Duty Amid Coronavirus Lockdown