Zakir Musa’s Deputy Among 6 Militants Killed in Tral Encounter, ‘War-Like’ Stores Seized
Soon after news of the encounter spread, clashes erupted between security forces and protesters near the site.
One of the militants killed in the operation was identified as Ansar Gazwatul Hind militant Soliha Mohammad.
Srinagar: Six militants of the Al Qaeda-linked and Zakir Musa-led outfit Ansar Ghazwatul Hind were killed on Saturday in a gunfight with security forces in Tral area of Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama district.
"Six terrorists have been killed in the Tral area encounter. Weapons and war-like stores have been recovered. The operation is over," Defence Ministry spokesman Colonel Rajesh Kalia said.
Among those killed was Soliha, alias Rehaan Khan, the deputy chief of Zakir Musa.
Mobile internet service in the district and rail services between the Valley and the Bannihal town of Jammu region were suspended.
Soldiers of Rashtriya Rifles (RR), troopers of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and special operations group (SOG) men surrounded Arampora village early on following specific inputs about militant presence, a police officer said.
"As the cordon was tightened, the militants fired triggering the encounter in which six militants were killed belonging to Zakir Musa outfit, Ansar Ghazwatul Hind.
"Exact identity of the other slain militants is being ascertained," the police officer added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Mouni Roy Shares Romantic Moment with Salman Khan, Dances to Odhni Song
- How a Wheelchair Taxi Service is Helping Specially-Abled Voters in Mumbai Reach Poll Booths
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi Meets Pilot Who Built a 6-Seater Aircraft on His Terrace
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials
- Amazon Great Indian Festival Sale: Your New OnePlus TV Could Cost as Low as Rs 53,069