Student Observing ‘Vratham’ for Sabarimala Visit Thrashed by Headmaster for Not Wearing Footwear
Police held talks with the family members of the student and the outfits, even as some locals supported the headmaster and sought action against those staging a protest.
Image only for representational purpose/Getty
Rameswaram: The headmaster of a private school near here allegedly beat a student for coming without wearing slippers as he was observing 'vratham' (austerities) for going on a pilgrimage to the Sabarimala Ayyappa shrine, triggering a protest by some Hindu outfits, police said on Monday.
The parents of the ninth standard student were irked by the headmaster's action and complained to the education department.
They accused the school head of not understanding the sentiment behind not wearing footwear, police said.
Police held talks with the family members of the student and the outfits, even as some locals supported the headmaster and sought action against those staging a protest. Activists belonging to the outfits later dispersed.
Meanwhile, the headmaster said school rules do not permit students without footwear to enter and that he was following the rule.
Education department officials said they were looking into the matter.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Mark The Calendar, Here is When Your iPhone, Watch, iPad and MacBook Get Updated
- 5-Years-Old Recreates 'Up' Moment With Great Grandparents for Birthday Photoshoot
- A Pakistani Pop-Singer is Facing Legal Action for Threatening PM Modi with Snakes
- 'Caught in the Moment': Virat Kohli Credits Contemplative Pic to Wife Anushka Sharma
- Mi TV Netflix Support to Finally Roll Out on September 17, Suggests Teaser