There are reports of violent protests in Kolkata following the arrest of Trinamool Congress MP Sudip Bandyopadhyaya, for his alleged involvement in Rs 60,000 Cr Rose Valley ponzi scam.
Local TV channels showed a bunch of TMC supporters pelting stones and trying to ransack the BJP's state unit in central Kolkata. A few BJP workers reportedly sustained injuries in the stone-pelting.
The protests came shortly after West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee said the arrest was an attempt by the Centre to terrorise the Opposition.
Mamataji violence on BJP office will not absolve yr leaders of involvement with Chit Fund firms— Sidharth Nath Singh (@sidharthnsingh) January 3, 2017
WB chit fund scam: List of major arrests made by CBI since 2013
- Trinamool Congress Lok Sabha MP Sudip Bandyopadhyay was arrested on Tuesday by the CBI for his alleged involvement in Rs 15,000 Cr (approx) Rose Valley group chit fund scam.
- Trinamool Congress (TMC) MP Tapas Paul was arrested by the CBI on December 30, 2016 in connection with the Rose Valley Group chit fund scam case.
- Former West Bengal minister and senior TMC leader Madan Mitra was arrested by the CBI in December 2014.
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on November 21, 2014, arrested Trinamool Congress Rajya Sabha MP Srinjoy Bose for his alleged involvement in Saradhan chit fund case.
- Suspended Trinamool Congress MP Kunal Ghosh was arrested on November 23, 2013 by the Bidhannagar Police in connection with the Saradha Group ponzi scam.
Trinamul Congress MP Tapas Pal is in CBI custody in Bhubaneswar since last Sunday over his alleged involvement in the Rose Valley Chit Fund scam.
The actor-turned-politician, who is in CBI remand, has alleged that union minister Babul Supryio is the one who introduced him to Rose Valley and the union minister is fully involved in the scam.
The Union minister, however, has refuted the allegations and has threatened to file a defamation case against Tapas Pal.
Rose Valley has cheated thousands of investors in Odisha too and in connection with this, the CBI has brought Tapas to Bhubaneswar for questioning and further investigation. The actor’s wife and daughter have also been summoned by the CBI over the investigation.
BJP Spokeperson Siddarth Nath Singh told CNN News18," Mamata & her goons cannot absorb that her party members are arrested in chit fund scam.The law of the land will will take its own course & CBI will continue with their work. The chief minister must ensure the protection of people & property in the state. If she can't, then she is a part of it."
TMC workers seen protesting the arrest of their MP Sudip Bandhopadhyay.
As it happened.
17 Feb, 2019 | Quadrangular Series in Oman OMN vs SCO 111/1019.3 overs 115/315.3 oversScotland beat Oman by 7 wickets
17 Feb, 2019 | Quadrangular Series in Oman NED vs IRE 182/920.0 overs 183/920.0 oversIreland beat Netherlands by 1 wicket
16 Feb, 2019 | Bangladesh in New Zealand BAN vs NZ 226/1049.4 overs 229/236.1 oversNew Zealand beat Bangladesh by 8 wickets
15 Feb, 2019 | Quadrangular Series in Oman IRE vs SCO 180/720.0 overs 181/418.3 oversScotland beat Ireland by 6 wickets
15 Feb, 2019 | Quadrangular Series in Oman OMN vs NED 166/420.0 overs 167/218.5 oversNetherlands beat Oman by 8 wickets