SC Rejects PIL Against Income Tax Exemptions to Political Funding
The Supreme Court today dismissed a PIL challenging income tax exemptions granted to donations made to political parties.
The Supreme Court of India. (File photo)
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today dismissed a PIL challenging income tax exemptions granted to donations made to political parties.
A bench comprising Chief Justice J S Khehar and Justice D Y Chandrachud said that the decision to grant IT exemptions is an "executive" action and did not violate any constitutional provision.
The bench said that the action didn't not violate the related provisions of the Income Tax Act, the Representation of People Act and the court cannot intervene in it.
Advocate M L Sharma, who had filed the PIL in personal capacity, had alleged that political parties have been granted IT exemptions in violation of constitutional schemes as this is not available to a common man.
Recommended For You
- Dominant Maria Sharapova Win Sets up Caroline Wozniacki Clash
- Spider-Man: Far From Home Teaser Trailer: Peter Parker Embarks on a Global Adventure
- In Pics: Katrina, Jacqueline, Karan Johar Have a Blast at Sidharth Malhotra's Birthday Bash
- This Mahindra Thar Wanderlust Customized SUV Belongs to the Royal Family of Udaipur - Watch Video
- WhatsApp Gets Dedicated Button for Group Conference Calls
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s