Supreme Court Says It Will Deal with Only Triple Talaq Due to Lack of Time
The Supreme Court on Monday said that it will be dealing with only triple talaq at the moment but is open to adjudication the issues of polygamy and 'nikah halala' among Muslims in the future.
File photo of the Supreme Court of India.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday said that it will be dealing with only triple talaq at the moment but is open to adjudication the issues of polygamy and 'nikah halala' among Muslims in the future.
The Centre had insisted in submissions to the court that it should deliberate on these aspects as well.
"It may not be possible to deal with all the three issues in the limited time we have. We will keep them pending for future," a five-judge Constitution bench headed by Chief Justice J S Khehar said as quoted by PTI.
"The scope of referring had all the three issues that was divorce, nikah halala, polygamy. All these three issues are before this court by virtue of the reference order of the two-judge bench," Rohatgi said.
The Centre's assertion assumes significance in the backdrop of the remarks of the apex court that it will only deal with the issue of triple talaq that too if it was fundamental to Islam.
The AG asked the bench also comprising Justices Kurian Joseph, R F Nariman, U U Lalit and Abdul Nazeer to make it clear that the issues of polygamy and 'nikah halala' are still open and would be dealt by other bench in future.
"It will be dealt in future," the bench clarified. The bench is hearing a clutch of petitions challenging the practice of triple talaq among Muslims. The Centre has resumed its arguments in the case on Monday.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Avengers Endgame: Spider-Man Star Tom Holland Almost Confirmed Quantum Realm Theory with This Major Spoiler
- Nagarkirtan Movie Review: Kaushik Ganguly Film is a Crushing Blow to Every Concept of Conventional Love
- PUBG Mobile Ban: Developer Issues Statement Following Criticism in India
- Old Fake Video of SRK Donating Money to Pakistan is Viral. Twitter Responds With #StopFakeNewsAgainstSRK
- Why Crown Prince MBS’s Visit is Significant For India's Interests in Afghanistan: World in Flux
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s