New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday asked the Centre to take over possession and secure the controversial Adarsh society building in Mumbai.
The apex court ordered that the handing over of possession has to be done on or before August 5. The process will be supervised by Registrar General of Bombay High Court or by his nominee Registrar.
The court also directed the Centre to ensure that no demolition takes place while securing the building.
"We will secure the building and there will be no demolition," Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar told the court.
The court has asked the residents to vacate the flat.
In a strongly-worded message to Adarsh society, the court said, "We will not permit you to deal with it anymore."
The high-rise meant to house families of Kargil martyrs came under the scanner following reports that flats were doled out to politicians, top defence personnel including two former Army chiefs and bureaucrats as well as their relatives.
According to the Central Bureau of Investigation, Congress leader Ashok Chavan had approved additional floor space in Adarsh in exchange for flats for his relatives in Adarsh - a society meant for war veterans.
Chavan was among the 13 people chargesheeted by the CBI in the Adarsh scam in July 2012. Chavan was forced to quit in November 2010 after it emerged that three of his relatives had been given apartments in the 30-storey building.