Tamil Nadu Urges Centre to Allot Additional 1,500 Hajj Seats
Chief minister K Palaniswami wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Centre has allotted 3,534 seats in 2019 for the people of Tamil Nadu to perform Hajj.
File photo of Haj, the City of Mecca. (AFP Relaxnews)
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government Tuesday urged the Centre to allot an additional 1500 Hajj
seats to the state's quota in view of the demand.
Chief minister K Palaniswami wrote to Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Centre has allotted 3,534 seats in 2019 for the
people of Tamil Nadu to perform Hajj.
"The Tamil Nadu State Hajj Committee has already received 6,379 applications for performing Hajj this year. To overcome this huge gap, I request you to instruct the ministry of minority affairs to allocate 1,500 additional seats over and above the quota allotted to Tamil Nadu," he said.
This would benefit pilgrims intending to perform Hajj from Tamil Nadu, the chief minister added.
Palaniswami recalled that last year too,the Centre had increased Tamil Nadu's quota from 3,542 seats to 3816 on his
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- In Pics: Taking a Sneak Peek into 13 Reasons Why Season 3, Find Out Who Killed Bryce Walker?
- Party of Four on the Way: Lisa Haydon Announces Second Pregnancy with Adorable Post
- Gay Penguin Parents Who Tried to Hatch Stone Get Presented With Real Egg
- A New Microchip Gives Obese People Electric Shocks Each Time They Think About Food
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 Firmware Update Causing CPU Issues