Tamil Nadu Govt Announces Rs 186 Crore Relief Package for Maize Farmers
The worm infestation has affected over 2.20 lakh hectares of maize crop out of the 3.55 lakh hectares in 17 districts of the state in 2018, Chief Minister K Palaniswami said.
File image of Tamil Nadu CM K Palaniswami.
Chennai: The Tamil Nadu government Thursday announced a Rs 186 crore relief package for maize farmers affected by infestation of the fall armyworm, a pest found to attack corn crops.
Chief Minister K Palaniswami said the worm infestation has affected over 2.20 lakh hectares of maize crop out of the 3.55 lakh hectares in 17 districts of the state in 2018.
Making a suo motu statement in the state Assembly, he said this issue has affected 2.93 lakh farmers in 17 districts and therefore announced a relief of Rs 13,500 per hectare and Rs 7410 per hectare, under two different plantation types.
"A total relief of Rs 186.25 crore will be given" from the State Disaster Relief Fund, he said.
Noting that the worm originally attacked maize crops in the US but spread to Africa in 2016 and later to Asia in 2018, affecting countries including India, he said he had directed officials concerned to swiftly assess the damage caused to the maize crops.
The chief minister further said he has ordered for steps to be taken for the prevention of infestation of the worm, besides creating awareness among farmers.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Yeh Hai Mohabbatein Actor Karan Patel, Wife Ankita Bhargava to Become Parents: Report
- Quinton de Kock's Reaction After Indian Fan Breaches Security to Touch His Feet is Priceless
- Bigg Boss 13: Krushna Reacts to Siddharth's Comment on Sister Arti, Says How Can He Do This
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Plans Start at Rs 222 Which Includes Bundled Non-Jio Calls
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials