Tamil Nadu Man Accused of Raping Tourist Escapes from Police Custody in Goa
Ramchandra Yellapa, 30, was arrested in December last year for allegedly raping a 42-year-old British woman at Canacona in South Goa.
Photo for representation.
Panaji: A man accused of raping a British woman in Goa, Friday escaped from police custody while he was being brought to a court in Margao town from the Central Jail at Colvale in North Goa.
Ramchandra Yellapa, 30, who was arrested in December last year for allegedly raping a 42-year-old British woman at Canacona in South Goa, escaped from police custody when he was being produced before the judge, a senior official said.
The accused ran away from the court premises in Margao, although he was being escorted by two policemen, he added.
"A search has been launched to trace him before he crosses the state border. He would be arrested soon," the official said.
According to police, the accused, who hails from Tamil Nadu, had raped the victim when she was walking from Canacona railway station to her guest house in the wee hours on December 20, 2018. He had also decamped with her belongings.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Dabangg 3: Salman Khan Introduces Saiee Manjrekar with A Quirky Caption
- In Pursuit of Love, World's Loudest Bird Sings Heart out in 'Theatrical Swivel'
- PUBG Mobile: Erangel 2.0 Arriving in December, Glass Windows and New Items Leaked
- Here's All About Indian Army Sourced Nissan Jonga SUV Bought by MS Dhoni
- NBA 2K20 Gameplay Will Unlock Limited Edition Nike Sneakers That You Can Buy