Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
News18 » India
1-min read

Teen Visits Relatives in Kolkata, Contracts Dengue and Dies

An official of Belle Vue Clinic said that the victim Nurul Hasan tested positive for Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is an antibody test for dengue

Trending Desk

Updated:October 11, 2019, 3:30 PM IST
facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp
Teen Visits Relatives in Kolkata, Contracts Dengue and Dies
A News18 creative by Mir Suhail.

A 14-year-old boy who went to visit his relatives in Kolkata’s Elliot road, contracted dengue and succumbed to the disease on Thursday morning in a city hospital.

An official of Belle Vue Clinic said that the victim Nurul Hasan tested positive for Immunoglobulin M (IgM), which is an antibody test for dengue, The Telegraph reported.

Hasan’s death has taken the dengue toll to five in the Calcutta municipal area since January. The death certificate mentioned that Hasan died because of dengue shock syndrome. Sources in the Calcutta Municipal Corporation said about 1,400 people had been infected with the dengue virus in the city since January.

“Five people have died in the city so far. The death certificate (of Hasan) mentioned dengue shock syndrome,” said a Calcutta Medical College official.

The hospital official said Hasan was admitted to the facility on Wednesday. “He had suffered haemorrhagic shock and was bleeding. He came in a critical condition,” the official said. “He is not a resident of Calcutta. He was visiting a relative.”

Entomologists have warned against storing water in any container for more than seven days. “The Aedes aegypti mosquito, which spreads the virus, takes only seven days to become an adult from a larva,” said an entomologist. The full life cycle of dengue fever virus involves the role of mosquito as a transmitter (or vector) and humans as the main victim and source of infection.

Severe dengue (previously known as dengue haemorrhagic fever) was first recognized in the 1950s during dengue epidemics in the Philippines and Thailand. Today it affects Asian and Latin American countries and has become a leading cause of hospitalization and death among children and adults in these regions.

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

Also Watch

facebookTwitterskypewhatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results