Tension in Muzaffarnagar After Dalits Stopped from Installing Statue of Man Killed in 2018 Protests
The group, however, was prevented from going ahead with their plans as model code of conduct is in place due to the upcoming general elections, Circle Officer said.
Image for representation. (Image: PTI)
Muzaffarnagar (UP): Tension prevailed here when a group of Dalits was prevented by the district authorities from installing a statue in memory of a man killed during an agitation in 2018, police said Tuesday.
The incident was reported from Gadla village on Monday, Circle Officer Ram Mohan Sharma said.
According to police, the Dalits wanted to install the statue of Amresh at Sant Ravidas temple here. Ambresh was killed during Dalit agitation here last year.
The group, however, was prevented from going ahead with their plans as model code of conduct is in place due to the upcoming general elections, Sharma said.
Meanwhile, security has been tightened in the area, he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Supermodel Bella Hadid is World's Most Beautiful Woman According to Science
- Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2C at Rs 6499 Lands Ahead of Peak Pollution Season
- Google Pixel 4 Project Soli Radar is Why The Phone is Not Coming to India
- Mercedes-Benz G 350 d Launched at Rs 1.5 Crore in India
- Redmi Note 8, Redmi Note 8 Pro Launched in India: Specs, Price and More