Chennai: V Krishnamurthy, a shop owner, wanted to clean a septic tank outside his house in Selvaperumal Nagar in Kanchipuram district but when he opened the lid of the sewage tank, he felt uneasy as he reportedly inhaled poisonous gas. He called out his sons for help but before they could reach, he fell in the tank.
His sons, Kannan and Karthik, rushed to his rescue and jumped inside the tank. They, too, reportedly inhaled the toxic gas. Lakshmipathy, a tenant who saw this tried to rescue them also inhaled the gas and fell inside. Ramesh and Surabhi, who saw this unfold, reached the tank to rescue the four but they too fell in the tank.
Police officials told news18 that fire tenders were rushed to the spot and all six bodies were retrieved. The bodies were taken to Sriperumbudur Government Hospital for post-mortem.
The officials added that all six died after inhaling poisonous gas but said the investigations are underway and the post-mortem report would help identify the exact cause of the accident. The case is being handled by SP Santhosh and ASP Rajeshkanna.
(With inputs from Subramani M)