The Indore-Patna Express train accident has once again raised questions on railway safety in the country.
Rail fracture is the mostly cause of Sunday’s accident near Kanpur which claimed at least 100 lives.
Here’s a look at the most recent train accidents in India.
Chronology of major railway accidents since 2010
- September 12, 2015: At least 2 people were killed and eight others injured as nine coaches of a Duranto Express, going from Secunderabad to Mumbai, derailed in Karnataka.
- August 24, 2015: A Congress lawmaker was among five people killed when a truck rammed the Bangalore-Nanded Express in Andhra Pradesh.
- August 4, 2015: 28 killed and 25 went missing as Kamayani and Janata Express trains derailed in Madhya Pradesh.
- May 25, 2015: 2 persons died and six were injured as eight compartments of the Howrah-Jammu Muri Express derailed in Kaushambi district of Uttar Pradesh.
- March 20, 2015: 32 people died and over 50 injured as two coaches of the Dehradun-Varanasi Janta Express derailed in Uttar Padesh's Rae Bareli district.
- February 13, 2015: At least 9 passengers were killed and 70 injured when the Bengaluru-Ernakulam Inter-City Express derailed near Hosur in Karnataka.
- September 30, 2014: 13 Killed, 47 injured in train collision near Gorakhpur.
- June 25, 2014: 4 people were killed after Delhi-Dibrugarh Rajdhani Express derailed near Chhapra in Bihar.
- August 18, 2014: 20 people, including eight children, were killed when a speeding train rammed into a packed autorickshaw at a railway crossing between Semra and Sugauli stations in Bihar's east Champaran district.
- May 04, 2014: 18 people were killed and 124 injured after the engine and six bogies of a passenger train derailed in the Konkan Railway route in Raigad district of Maharashtra. The Diva-Sawantwadi passenger train, which left Diva at around 7.30 am, derailed shortly after crossing the Bhise Khind tunnel at around 9:30 am killing 18 passengers.
- February 17, 2014: 3 passengers were killed and 37 others injured when ten coaches of a train derailed at Ghoti near Igatpuri in Nashik district. The mishap took place at around 6.20 am when 12618 Nizamuddin-Ernakulam Lakshadweep Mangala Express train was passing through the Ghoti-Igatpuri section, about 35 kms from Nashik.
- January 08, 2014: 4 persons were charred and 5 died due to suffocation after three sleeper coaches S2, S3 and S4 of the Bandra-Dehradun Express were gutted in fire. The incident occurred between Dahanu road and Gholvad station near Surat.
- December 28, 2013: 26 people, including two children, were killed and 12 others injured when a fire broke out in the A/C 3-tier B-1 coach of the Bangalore-Nanded Express train at Kothacheruvu near Puttaparthi in Anantpur district of Andhra Pradesh.
- August 19, 2013: At least 37 people died and dozens of others injured after an express train ran over them at Dhamara halt in Khagaria district in Bihar.
- June 30, 2012: 35 passengers were killed and 25 severely injured when a coach of the Delhi-Chennai-Tamil Nadu Express caught fire near Nellore district in Andhra Pradesh.
- May 22, 2012: 25 people were killed when the Bangalore-bound Hampi Express collided with a stationary goods train in Andhra Pradesh's Anantapur district.
- May 28, 2010: At least 148 people were killed as Maoists derailed the Gyaneshwari Express in West Bengal's Midnapore district.