Tribals 'Reconverted' to Hinduism in Gujarat's Dang District
A 'yajna' (sacred fire) was organized to 'purify' the village and the head priest of the Unai temple presided over the re-conversion program.
Photo for representation. (PTI)
Dang (Gujarat): As many as 144 members of a tribal community who had converted to Christianity were converted back to Hinduism in Gujarat's Dang district on Friday, a religious leader claimed.
The event was organized at Bhogadiya village by some local religious leaders with the support of the Vishva Hindu Parishad, said Sadhvi Yashoda Didi of Shivrimal Ashram in the district.
"These Warli tribals were lured into embracing Christianity by missionaries five years ago. They contacted us recently, saying they were not feeling comfortable following this religion," she said.
"As they wanted to come back to Hinduism, we arranged this program of 'Ghar Wapsi' today," she added. Most of those who reconverted to Hinduism were residents of Bhogadiya while some were from surrounding villages.
A 'yajna' (sacred fire) was organized to 'purify' the village and the head priest of the Unai temple presided over the re-conversion program, Yashoda Didi said.
"We did not make any false promise to these tribals to persuade them to embrace their ancestral faith," she added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Icons on Your Windows 10 PC Are Set to Get Their First Big Makeover in Years
- Google is Throwing Out Apps That Bother Users With Adverts; Almost 600 Have Been Binned
- In a First, MIT Scientists Discover Powerful New Antibiotic Using Artificial Intelligence Algorithm
- Not Just Humans, Birds too Can Learn to Make Food Choices By Watching Videos: Study
- EazyDiner is Trending With #dudewithasign on Twitter: So, What Does it Really Offer?