Turned Down by Parents, UP Couple Jump in Front of Speeding Train After Tying the Knot
Police said the couple may have got married before taking the extreme step.
Representative image. (Getty Images)
Sitapur (Uttar Pradesh): After failing to convince their families to get them married, a couple committed suicide by jumping in front of a train on the outskirts of Gulramau crossing in Mehmoodabad area, police said on Sunday.
Virendra Verma (19) and Ranjana (18) were in a relationship but their families did not approve of it, Mehmoodabad Inspector Gyanendra Singh said.
As their families were against the relationship, both jumped in front of Shajahanpur-Gonda passenger train on Saturday and committed suicide, he said.
Both had left their homes on May 23 and a report was lodged by girl's family in this regard, the inspector added.
Prima facie it appeared both got married before taking the extreme step, he said. Bodies have been sent for postmortem, the officer added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- PV Sindhu Overcomes Tai Tzu Ying to Reach World Badminton Championships Semi-finals
- Sophie Turner Dances Arm in Arm with Priyanka Chopra's Mother at Jonas Brothers Concert
- NASA’s Next Moon Landing Will be Powered by The Aitken Supercomputer Made by HP
- RCB Rope in Hesson & Katich for IPL 2020, Sack Kirsten and Nehra
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones