GET Stock QuotesNews18 APP
News18 English
»
1-min read

Tuticorin Violence: Two Deputy Tehsildars Who Issued Shooting Orders Transferred

Deputy Tehsildars Kannan and Sekar were transferred to Kayathaaru and Srivaikuntam respectively by District Collector Sandeep Nandoor, an official order said.

PTI

Updated:June 9, 2018, 9:26 AM IST
facebookTwittergoogleskypewhatsapp
Tuticorin Violence: Two Deputy Tehsildars Who Issued Shooting Orders Transferred
File photo: Police personnel lathi charge a protester demanding the closure of Sterlite Copper unit in Tuticorin. (PTI)
Loading...
Tuticorin (TN): More than two weeks after 13 persons were killed in police firing during anti-Sterlite protests in Tuticorin, two deputy tehsildars who allegedly gave the order to the force to do it have been transferred.

Deputy Tehsildars Kannan and Sekar were transferred to Kayathaaru and Srivaikuntam respectively by District Collector Sandeep Nandoor, an official order said.

Thirteen people were killed in police firing on May 22 and 23 after protests for closure of the plant over pollution concerns turned violent in Tuticorin.

The Tamil Nadu government had last month appointed a one-person Commission of Inquiry headed by a retired judge of the Madras High Court to probe the violence in Tuticorin.

The State Human Rights Commission also has initiated an inquiry into the issue.

On May 28, the government ordered the state Pollution Control Board to seal and "permanently" close the Vedanta group's copper plant, following the violent protests.

The following day Chief Minister K Palaniswami maintained in the assembly that police action was "unavoidable" and asserted that action would be taken if anyone had wrongly handled the situation.

The issue continued to rock the assembly in the following days with the ruling AIADMK claiming that the main opposition party DMK had allotted land for expansion of the copper plant in Tuticorin district when it was in power during 2006-11.

The Chief minister had listed out efforts by his government for permanent closure of the unit, including the 2013 action taken by J Jayalalithaa as then chief minister of Tamil Nadu.

He had also accused DMK working president MK Stalin of allotting 230 acres for Sterlite expansion when he was holding the industries portfolio as deputy chief minister earlier.

The State Human Rights Commission also has initiated an inquiry into the issue.

Also Watch

| Edited by: Huma Tabassum
Read full article
Loading...
Loading...
Loading...