Two Beaten to Death on Suspicion of 'Cow Theft' in Assam
In yet another incident of violent cow vigilantism, two men were beaten to death by a mob on suspicion of stealing cattle in Assam’s Nagaon district. No arrests had been made till Monday morning.
Guwahati: In yet another incident of violent cow vigilantism, two men were beaten to death by a mob on suspicion of stealing cattle in Assam’s Nagaon district. Two men were detained and were being questioned.
Senior police officials told PTI that the victims were aged between 20 and 25.
The mob continuously thrashed them with sticks while chasing them for about 1.5 km, from Kasamari in Nagaon police station area to Jajori police station area, he said.
Asked if it was a case of "cow vigilantism", Upadhay said a lot of cattle thefts had been reported in the area. "In this case, I got reports that some people saw the two men trying to take away cows from the field and called more people from the village. When a large crowd gathered, they started thrashing them badly," he told PTI.
He assured of an "impartial enquiry" into the episode.
The incident comes weeks after a 55-year-old man was lynched by alleged cow vigilantes in Rajasthan’s Alwar, leading to uproar in Parliament and demands of action against ‘cow vigilantes’.
(With PTI inputs)
Recommended For You
- Xiaomi Mi 9 With Snapdragon 855, Triple-Cameras, And Upto 12GB RAM Announced
- 'I Condemn Pulwama Attack': Pakistani Women Say #NoToWar By Launching #AntiHateChallenge
- Noida Robbers Get a Taste of Their Own Medicine After Falling From Bike With Stolen Cash
- Ford Endeavour Available With Discounts Upto Rs 1 Lakh, 2019 Facelift Model Launch Soon
- Instagram Bans Suicidal or Self-Harm Related Content After Outrage Following Death of 14-year-old UK Girl
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s