Mumbai Rains: Two Drown as Car Gets Stuck in Floodwater at Malad Underpass
Due to heavy showers, their car got stuck in the subway and they could not come out. People later pulled the car out of the water and found the duo in an unconscious state, police said.
Two people stuck inside the car drown and died in Malad subway.
Mumbai: Two persons travelling in a car drowned after their vehicle got stuck in a flooded subway in suburban Malad amid heavy downpour, police said Tuesday.
The incident took place Monday at around 11.30 pm when the two were returning to their homes in Malad (East), a senior police official said.
The deceased were identified as Irfan Khan, 38, and Gulshad Shaikh, 40.
Due to heavy showers, their car got stuck in the subway and they could not come out. People later pulled the car out of the water and found the duo in an unconscious state, the official said.
The car occupants were admitted to a nearby hospital, where they died during treatment, he said, adding that a case of accidental death has been registered.
At least 27 deaths have been confirmed so far in Mumbai in rain-related incidents, with 21 of them dying in a wall collapse in Malad.
The rainfall in the 24-hour period before 8.30 am on Tuesday was the highest since the July 26, 2005 deluge in Mumbai, officials said. The rainfall during the 24-hour period was 375.2 mm, the official said, quoting data from the Santa Cruz-based Mumbai Regional Centre of the IMD.
Barring the 2005 flooding of Mumbai, the highest rainfall in a single day in the metropolis was on July 5, 1974. The rainfall recorded by the Santa Cruz observatory on that day was also 375.2 mm.
Recommended For You
- Bollywood Star Taapsee Pannu Gifts Jeep Compass Worth Rs 21.34 Lakh to Sister Shagun, Shares Video on Instagram
- Mumbai Police Flaunts 'Khaki Swag' after #SareeTwitter Trends on Social Media
- Did Netflix Just Give Out the Biggest Spoiler About Sacred Games 2 with this Cryptic Tweet?
- Watch: Sleeping Man Doesn't Even Wake Up as a Snake is Rescued from His Kurta
- TVS Young Media Racer Program 2019 Round 2: Has Anyone Seen My Footpeg?