Two Labourers Die after Falling Into Manhole in Gujarat
A Fire department official ruled out asphyxiation as the likely cause behind the deaths, saying no gaseous formation was found inside the manhole.
Picture for representation.
Ahmedabad: Two labourers died apparently after they fell into a manhole on Sunday near Ahmedabad, police said.
The duo, Sunil Palas and Sukhram Mohaniya, were taking measurement for an under-construction water connection line project of the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) in evening near Vishala Circle when they seemed to have fallen into the 15-feet deep manhole.
They were rushed to a government hospital where they were declared brought dead, a Vejalpur police official said. The deceased were hired by a private contractor for the work, he said.
The exact cause of their death will be known after postmortem, the official added. A Fire department official ruled out asphyxiation as the likely cause behind the deaths, saying no gaseous formation was found inside the manhole.
"Two labourers fell into the manhole possibly after losing balance when going down to take measurement for a water connection line. We have not found any gaseous formation in the manhole, hence, we suspect they died due to injuries," said Additional Chief Fire Officer Rajesh Bhatt.
He said the deceased labourers were hired by a private contractor to carry out the measurement work for the AMC project.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- PUBG Mobile 0.16.0 Beta Update: Death Race Mode, TPP to FPP Switch, and More
- India's Young Shooters Shine With Gold and Silver Medal Shows on ISSF World Cup Finals Day 2
- 'Gonna Tell My Kids' is the Newest Meme in Town and Desi Twitter Has Given a Hilarious Twist to it
- Nagarjuna's Comeback in Ranbir Kapoor-Alia Bhatt's Brahmastra has Send Twitter in Frenzy
- Chaayos Wants to Sneakily Capture Your Facial Data With Your Next Cup of Chai