Two Militants Killed in Gunfight with Security Forces in J&K's Shopian
A police spokesperson said the security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Awneera area of Shopian in early hours following information about the presence of militants there.
Image for Representation
Srinagar: Two local militants, "inspired by the Islamic State (IS) ideology", were killed on Tuesday in an encounter with security forces in Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Awneera area of Shopian in early hours following information about the presence of militants there, a police spokesperson said.
He said the search operation turned into an encounter after militants opened fire on the security forces.
"Two terrorists were killed in retaliatory firing by the security forces. Arms and ammunition were seized from the scene of the encounter," he said.
The police spokesman identified the slain duo as Sayar Ahmad Bhat, a resident of Kulgam, and Shakir Ahmad Wagay, a resident of Awneera in Shopian.
"According to the police records, both the killed terrorists were inspired by IS ideology and were wanted by law for their complicity in terror crimes, including attacks on security establishments," the spokesperson added.
Recommended For You
- Cricket World Cup 2019 | Shoaib Malik & Sania Mirza Hit Back at Twitter Trolling
- Played Pokémon Growing Up? Your Brain May Have a 'Special Region' For It
- Support Pours in From Music Industry After Megadeth Frontman Dave Mustaine Diagnosed With Throat Cancer
- OnePlus 7 Pro 5G Belatedly Gets the Oxygen OS 9.5.4 Update With Bug Fixes And Improvements
- The Apple iPhone 2020 Lineup Expected to Have OLED Displays With 5G Support, Says Ming-Chi Kuo
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s