Two Militants Killed in Gunfight with Security Forces in J&K's Shopian
A police spokesperson said the security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Awneera area of Shopian in early hours following information about the presence of militants there.
Image for Representation
Srinagar: Two local militants, "inspired by the Islamic State (IS) ideology", were killed on Tuesday in an encounter with security forces in Shopian district of Jammu and Kashmir, police said.
The security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Awneera area of Shopian in early hours following information about the presence of militants there, a police spokesperson said.
He said the search operation turned into an encounter after militants opened fire on the security forces.
"Two terrorists were killed in retaliatory firing by the security forces. Arms and ammunition were seized from the scene of the encounter," he said.
The police spokesman identified the slain duo as Sayar Ahmad Bhat, a resident of Kulgam, and Shakir Ahmad Wagay, a resident of Awneera in Shopian.
"According to the police records, both the killed terrorists were inspired by IS ideology and were wanted by law for their complicity in terror crimes, including attacks on security establishments," the spokesperson added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka, Parineeti Chopra to Voice Sisters Elsa and Anna in Frozen 2's Hindi Version
- Indian Tourist from Maharashtra Detained in Bhutan for 'Desecrating' Holy Buddhist Chorten
- 'This is a Joke Right?' Trump Wrote a Bizarre Letter to Turkey and Twitter Had a Lot of Memes
- Google Pixel 4 Face Unlock is so Unsecure, You May as Well Not Bother Using it
- Lebanon Thought Charging For WhatsApp is a Good Idea, But Citizens Vented Their Anger