Two 'Naughty' Andhra Primary School Students Tied to Classroom Bench as Punishment, Probe on
A child rights commission chairperson pointed out that any form of physical punishment in schools was a criminal offence as per Juvenile Justice Act and also the Right to Education Act.
Image for representation. (Reuters)
Amaravati: Two students were allegedly tied to a bench as punishment at a municipal school in Anantapuramu district on Thursday, prompting the Andhra Pradesh state commission for the protection of child rights to order a probe.
The incident happened at the municipal upper primary school in Kadiri town.
The headmistress Sridevi handed over the punishment as the two students allegedly behaved naughtily in the class, commission sources said.
"I have spoken with the district collector and the municipal commissioner and asked them to conduct an inquiry and submit a report. Full details about the incident are not yet available. I have asked them to take departmental as well as criminal action against those responsible for the incident," Commission chairperson G Hymavati told PTI.
She pointed out that any form of physical punishment in schools was a criminal offence as per Juvenile Justice Act and also the Right to Education Act.
Hymavati directed the collector to ensure that adequate compensation is paid to the children upon inquiry.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Counterfeit Xiaomi Products Worth Rs 13 Lakhs Seized From Delhi's Gaffar Market
- Irfan Pathan Had a Fitting Response to Abdul Razzaq Calling Bumrah a 'Baby Bowler'
- India vs West Indies | Our Responsibility is to Support Rishabh Pant: Virat Kohli
- Uber Apologises for Viral Photo of Separate Bathrooms for Employees and Drivers in US Office
- Former Mumbai Cricketer Robin Morris Arrested Over Alleged Kidnapping: Report