Unable to Repay Loans, 2 Farmers Commit Suicide in Two Districts of Uttar Pradesh
Manmohan, the victim's brother said Shankar, a resident of Bhairavganj in Srinagar, was upset as his crop got damaged due to heavy rains.
Banda: Unable to repay their loans, two farmers allegedly committed suicide in Mahoba and Hamirpur districts, officials said on Tuesday. In Mahoba, Shankar Kushwaha (44) committed suicide by jumping in front of a train on Monday, Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Devendra Singh said.
Manmohan, the victim's brother said Shankar, a resident of Bhairavganj in Srinagar, was upset as his crop got damaged due to heavy rains. He had taken a loan of Rs 30,000 from a bank but could not repay it and committed suicide, he said.
The SDM said a probe has been ordered and due compensation will be given to the farmer's family once the report comes.
In Hamipur district, another farmer Ram Khelawan (65) committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree after his crop got damaged.
His son Dayashankar said Khelawan, a resident of Saukhar village in Sumerpur area, had loan of Rs one lakh which he could not repay.
Tehsildar (Revenue Officer) Raghvendra Sharma said a probe is on to ascertain the reason behind the act.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Facebook Libra is Official, Even Though a Lot of The High Profile Partners Have Left
- 'Respect Culture': Woman Arrested for Wearing Bikini That Was Too 'Revealing'
- I-League Clubs to be in ISL as AFC-AIFF Decide on Single League Roadmap
- Reliance Jio Says India’s Monthly Data Usage is More Than 9GB Per Subscriber
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz