Undertrial Prisoner Escapes Meghalaya Court Through Toilet Ventilator
The incident happened when 32-year-old Bath N Marak, accused in kidnapping, extortion and other criminal cases, was being produced before the court of the district and sessions judge in Tura town on Thursday.
Tura (Meghalaya): An undertrial prisoner has escaped through the ventilator of a toilet in a Meghalaya court despite police personnel standing guard outside, an officer said on Friday.
The incident happened when 32-year-old Bath N Marak, accused in kidnapping, extortion and other criminal cases, was being produced before the court of the district and sessions judge in Tura town on Thursday, the police officer said.
"He requested to be allowed to relieve himself. However, upon entering a toilet in the court premises, Marak loosened the bars of the ventilator and escaped," he said.
Marak was a former member of a group of notorious criminal William A Sangma, the officer said. "He (Marak) was able to take advantage of the loose bars of the ventilator to flee. A search is on for the escaped prisoner," West Garo Hills Superintendent of Police, MGR Kumar said.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra Review: This is The Android Superphone You Were Waiting For
- Vicky Kaushal, Ananya Panday, Parineeti Chopra Awestruck by Super Pink Moon
- OnePlus 8 Pro Wireless Charging Feature Confirmed, 30W Wireless Charger Leaks
- WhatsApp: Three New Features Coming to the Popular Messaging App
- Ayushmann Khurrana Sings 'Happy Birthday' for Fan Following Her Daughters' Request