Union Cabinet Recommends Dissolution of 16th Lok Sabha
The 17th Lok Sabha has to be constituted before June 3 and the process to form a new House will be initiated when the three Election Commissioners meet the President.
File photo of Parliament building.
New Delhi: The Union Cabinet on Friday recommended the dissolution of the 16th Lok Sabha, government sources said.
The Cabinet meeting came a day after the counting of votes for the Lok Sabha elections in which the NDA retained power with a massive mandate.
After the Cabinet's recommendation, President Ram Nath Kovind is now expected to dissolve the present Lok Sabha, the term of which is ending on June 3.
The 17th Lok Sabha has to be constituted before June 3 and the process to form a new House will be initiated when the three Election Commissioners meet the President in the next few days to hand over the list of newly-elected members.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Just Get Dark Skinned Actors': Ayushmann-Bhumi's 'Bala' Draws Criticism for 'Brownface'
- Post Wedding, Justin Bieber Gifts 'Wifey' Hailey Baldwin Adorable Hand-made Necklace
- It Upsets Me When People Say Jack Sparrow: Saif Ali Khan on Laal Kaptaan Role
- This is The End: What is up With Fortnite And Why Are You Staring at a Blank Screen
- 15-year-old Coco Gauff Beat Jelena Ostapenko to Win First WTA Title at Linz