UP Cops Halt Church Prayer After Yogi's Outfit Alleges Religious Conversion
Police in Uttar Pradesh’s Maharajganj district halted a prayer by over 100 people, including American tourists, to investigate allegations of forced conversion made by the right-wing Hindu Yuva Vahini, which was founded by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
PHOTO FOR REPRESENTATION ONLY (Getty Images)
Lucknow: Police in Uttar Pradesh’s Maharajganj district halted a prayer by over 100 people, including American tourists, to investigate allegations of forced conversion made by the right-wing Hindu Yuva Vahini, which was founded by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.
The group alleged that the prayer meeting was a “cover” for religious conversion, a charge denied by the pastor.
On investigation, however, the police found no truth to the allegations and allowed the Americans to leave after verifying their documents. Local police told CNN-News18 that no formal case had been registered till early Saturday.
This was the first time an allegation of the sort was levelled against the British-era church.
Maharajganj is one of the hotspots frequented by tourists on their way to Nepal.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Captain America's Peggy Carter Says Her Story with Steve Rogers Had Fitting End in Avengers Endgame
- Did 'Sacred Games' 2 Have an Obvious, Glaring Error in its Season Finale Episode?
- 'Superman': Tiger Shroff Deadlifts 200KG With an Ease, Impresses Ishaan Khatter and Fans
- Instagram Users Can Report False Content And Expect Fact Checkers to Verify it
- Airtel Forgot About The Home Bundle And Reliance Jio Fiber Has Stolen The March