UP Man Booked for Allegedly Divorcing Wife Through 'Triple Talaq'
Ahmad, a resident of Uttar Pradesh's Muzaffarnagar, had married Nazia Parveen seven years ago and was demanding dowry from his in-laws.
Muzaffarnagar: A man here was booked under the newly-enacted law for allegedly giving triple talaq to his wife, police said on Monday. Acting on a directive of the Uttar Pradesh State Commission for Women, a case was registered against Shamim Ahmad, SHO Anil Kapervan said.
Ahmad, a resident of Chowk locality, had married Nazia Parveen seven years ago and was demanding dowry from his in-laws, he said. Nazia Parveen, who works in a school here, alleged that police had initially refused to register a case in the matter, following which she approached the commission.
Ahmad's sister was also booked for allegedly putting pressure on the accused for divorcing his wife, police added.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Plumber's Re 0 Invoice for 91-Year-Old Ill Woman Earns Him Praises on Internet
- Zareen Khan Recounts Casting Couch Horror, Says Director Asked Her to 'Rehearse Kissing Scene'
- OnePlus 7T With Round Triple-Camera Module Revealed in Official Press Image
- 33,000 People Want Oxford Dictionary to Change its Definition of 'Woman'. Here's Why.
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Review: More Than Anything Else, The Camera is Truly Pro