Upper Caste Men Beat Dalit Youth to Death for 'Eating in Front of Them' at Uttarakhand Wedding
Jeetendra, a Dalit, was thrashed by the upper caste men who lost their temper as they found him eating in front of them 'despite being from a lower caste'.
New Tehri: A 23-year-old Dalit man succumbed to injuries Sunday, days after he was allegedly beaten up by some upper caste people for eating in front of them at a wedding reception in Uttarakhand's Tehri district, police said.
Jeetendra, a Dalit, was thrashed by the upper caste men who lost their temper as they found him eating in front of them "despite being from a lower caste", DSP Uttam Singh Jimwal said.
The incident took place on April 26 at a wedding reception in Shrikot village of the district, he said. Jeetendra was critically injured and died at a hospital in Dehradun after nine days of treatment, the DSP said.
On the basis of a police complaint filed by Jeetendra's sister, a case was registered against seven persons — Gajendra Singh, Soban Singh, Kushal Singh, Gabbar Singh, Gambhir Singh, Harbir Singh and Hukum Singh — under the SC/ST Act, the DSP said. Further action will be taken after the post-mortem report arrives, he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Ayushmann Khurrana-Nushrat Bharucha's Dream Girl Song Removed from YouTube Over Copyright Issues
- Happy Daughter’s Day 2019: Meet the Famous Father-Daughter Duo of Bollywood
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7 Get OxygenOS 10 Based on Android 10 Update
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes