US Defense Secretary on Call With Rajnath Singh, Praises India's SAARC Coronavirus Initiative
The two leaders discussed the COVID-19 pandemic and underscored their commitment to close communication during this period.
File photo: Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh meets US counterpart Mark Esper in Washington. (Image: Twitter/@rajnathsingh)
Washington: US Defence Secretary Mark Esper on Friday held a telephonic conversation with Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and praised India's COVID-19 initiative for SAARC countries, the Pentagon said.
The two leaders discussed the COVID-19 pandemic and underscored their commitment to close communication during this period in order to maintain momentum on initiatives that reinforce their comprehensive global partnership, the Pentagon said in a readout of the call.
"During the call, the two leaders also discussed bilateral defense priorities, including the ongoing regional cooperation and initiatives to enhance military-to-military engagement and defense trade," it said.
Esper expressed his appreciation for India's leadership in coordinating COVID-19 related relief efforts among South Asian countries and conveyed his intent to visit India at the earliest opportunity, the Pentagon said.
In the wake of the coronavirus crisis, Esper had postponed his scheduled travel to India this month.
He has been roped in by President Donald Trump to combat the coronavirus that has so far infected more than 13,000 Americans claimed 230 lives.
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- I Have Been Making 'Dalgona Coffee' Since Childhood: Note from Not-a-Millennial to Instagram Influencers
- PM CARES Relief Fund: Here is How You Can Contribute to Combat The COVID Pandemic
- Deepika Padukone Defends Sharing Workout Videos Amid Pandemic, Says 'It Keeps Ranveer & Me Going'
- Van Gogh Painting Allegedly Stolen in Midnight Heist from Dutch Museum amid Coronavirus Lockdown
- Keep Your Child Engaged during Lockdown by Availing Google’s 3D Animal Feature, Here's How