Uttar Pradesh to Make Marriage Registration Mandatory
The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to make marriage registration mandatory for all in the state, an official said on Tuesday.
Image for representation only. (Photo: Reuters)
Lucknow: The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to make marriage registration mandatory for all in the state, an official said on Tuesday.
A proposal has been drafted by the women's welfare department and is likely to be brought before the state cabinet in its next session.
According to sources with the knowledge of the proposal, the Yogi Adityanath-led Bharatiya Janata Party government has decided to include everyone in the proposal, including the Muslims following the Supreme Court's order for compulsory registration of marriages.
A committee of ministers was formed during former Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav's regime but its was protested by the Muslim community.
The Samajwadi Party government had also decided to exclude the Muslims but the rule book was never released.
The couples who are not registered will be deprived of benefits from government schemes, the sources added.
Many states like Himachal Pradesh, Kerala, Bihar, Rajasthan have already made marriage registration mandatory.
There are also penalties for not adhering to the rule.
Recommended For You
- In Boxing-Crazy Cuba, Women Still Wait For Their Chance to Shine
- Deepika Padukone, Ranveer Singh's Latest Pic from Chooda Ceremony is All Things Love; See Here
- Watch Makeup Artist Behind James Cameron's Avatar Turn Akshay Kumar into Beast for 2.0
- 1st Ducati Panigale V4 Speciale Superbike Worth Rs 51.81 Lakh Arrives in India
- Midnight Snack: This City Has the Most Bed Bugs in the US, Sleep Tight