Vehicles Torched Outside Ahmedabad Multiplex in Protest Against Padmaavat
Padmaavat, slated to be released on January 25, has been facing protests by Karni Sena and other fringe groups over allegations that historical facts were distorted in the movie.
The protest took place outside Himalaya mall in Ahmedabad. (Twitter)
New Delhi: In a new bout of violence, protesters set vehicles ablaze outside a multiplex in Ahmedabad, which was to screen movie Padmaavat.
The protest took place outside Himalaya mall.
The film, slated to be released on January 25, has been facing protests by Karni Sena and other fringe groups over allegations that historical facts were distorted in the movie. It stars Deepika Padukone as Rani Padmavati, Shahid Kapoor as Maharawal Ratan Singh and Ranveer Singh as Alauddin Khilji.
From being assaulted on the film's set in Jaipur to the set being vandalised in Kolhapur to getting threats from detractors -- Bhansali has been facing the ire of organisations that are up in arms against the period drama since its inception -- from when it was titled "Padmavati".
The makers of "Padmaavat" secured a U/A certificate from the censor board after incorporating five modifications, and locked the release date as January 25.
The Supreme Court on Thursday paved the way for the all-India release for "Padmaavat" on January 25 by staying the operation of orders by the Gujarat, Rajasthan and Haryana governments banning its release.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Google 2019 Trends: Kabir Singh to Avengers Endgame, Top 10 Movies of the Year
- Fact Check: Woman Winning Award in Viral Video is Not Hyderabad Rape Victim
- ISL 2019-20: NorthEast United FC vs Chennaiyin FC Pre-match Conference Cancelled Due to CAB Protests
- Pakistani Fans Roast 'Injured' Pacer Hasan Ali for Walking Down the Ramp With 'Rib Fractures'
- India vs West Indies | Virat Kohli Screamer Lights Up Gloomy Day for Fielders