Vital to Save Public Varsities So Students Can Study at Affordable Rates, Says Media Advisor to Former PM Manmohan Singh
Sanjaya Baru, a JNU alumnus, said at a time when almost every year the country is spending almost six billion dollars on Indians studying abroad, it is extremely important to save public universities.
File Photo of Jawaharlal Nehru University.
New Delhi: Amid protests by JNU students against the hostel fee hike, Sanjaya Baru, media advisor to former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, on Thursday said it is important to save public universities so that students can study at affordable costs.
In a video shared by former JNU Students' Union president N Sai Balaji, Baru, a JNU alumnus, said, "At a time when almost every year we are spending almost six billion dollars on Indians studying abroad, it is extremely important to save public universities."
Jawaharlal Nehru University is one of the best public universities according to HRD ministry's ranking and it is important to ensure that good students can study at affordable costs, he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Panipat Box Office Day 1: Arjun Kapoor, Kriti Sanon's Film Has a Slow Start
- Pati Patni Aur Woh Movie Review: Kartik-Bhumi-Ananya Promise Plenty Laughs
- #AmbedkarLongLive: Twitter Fondly Remembers BR Ambedkar on His 63rd Death Anniversary
- Hyderabad Encounter: Petition Filed in NHRC Seeking Autopsy of Bodies of the Rape Accused
- I-League 2019-20: NEROCA FC Host Northeast Rivals Aizawl FC in First Home Game