What Are Anti-Romeo Squads? How Do They Operate? Points to know
In its election manifesto for Uttar Pradesh, the BJP promised to create Anti-Romeo Dals (or squads) near colleges to "ensure the safety of college-going girls" and "check eve-teasing".
A Network18 creative.
Just two days after Yogi Adityanath took oath as the Uttar Pradesh CM, one of the BJP's oft-repeated promises during its election campaign was formation of anti-Romeo squads "to protect the honour of women" took off with a great deal of purposefulness in the state. In its election manifesto for Uttar Pradesh, the BJP promised to create Anti-Romeo Dals (or squads) near colleges to "ensure the safety of college-going girls" and "check eve-teasing".
In a document that has communal overtones written all over it--the manifesto has brought up issues like the Ram temple, triple talaq and Kairana "exodus"--it is not difficult to see the kind of provocation the BJP is hinting at by creating an anti-Romeo squad.
* Each team to consist of two policemen. Mostly one male and one female
* Two to three teams could be deployed in the jurisdiction of one police station
* Number of teams deployed would depend on the number of schools and colleges in the area
* They will move around near schools and colleges where there are a larger number of women
* Their task is to identify eve teasers and troublemakers in a crowd
* They will move around in uniform and in some cases in plain clothes
* Teams would comprise constables, head constables, ASI and SI
* Anti romeo squads can let off miscreants with a warning, can inform parents and even initiate criminal action depending on the seriousness of the case
Recommended For You
- Akshay Kumar Donates Rs 5 Lakh to Jobless Acid-Attack Survivor Laxmi Agarwal
- These Worn-Out, Taped-Together Sneakers Cost Over ₹38,000 And the Internet is Outraged
- Jeep Compass Limited Plus Launched in India for Rs 21.07 Lakh, Gets Sunroof
- Djokovic to Provide Fire Power For Team Europe at Laver Cup
- Everyone's Praising Rajnath Singh For Writing His Name in Kannada on Twitter