From APJ Abdul Kalam to George Fernandes: Top Guns Who Took to the Skies
Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman boarded the two-seater twin-engine fighter jet from an air base in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
India is a major consumer of Russian defence equipment.
New Delhi: Nirmala Sitharaman became the first woman Defence Minister to fly on a Sukhoi Su-30 MKI on Wednesday. Sitharaman took off in the two-seater twin-engine fighter jet from an air base in Jodhpur.
Here’s a look at the other politicians and ministers who boarded fighter jets:
- MAY 18, 2016: MoS Home Kiren Rijiju lived his dream of flying a Sukhoi-30MKI supersonic fighter jet from the Halwara airbase today in Punjab.
- AUG 10, 2015: MoS Defence Rao Inderjit Singh went on a sortie in the frontline IAF aircraft Sukhoi Su-30MKI at the Hindon air base in Ghaziabad.
- FEB 19, 2015: BJP leader Rajiv Pratap Rudy flew in Sukhoi-30 MKI, the frontline fighter aircraft of the Indian Air Force at Aero India 2015 air show here.
- NOV 25, 2009: President of India Pratibha Patil made history when she flew in fighter jet Sukhoi 30 MKI (SB 139) in Pune.
- JUNE 8, 2006: Seventy-four-year-old A.P.J. Abdul Kalam flew in a Sukhoi-30 fighter plane, becoming the first President to make a sortie in a combat aircraft.
- JUNE 22, 2003: Defence Minister George Fernandes, shed his favourite kurta-pyjama for anti-gravity suit to undertake his historic fighter sortie in SU-30 MKI from Lohegaon Air Force Station.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Photoshopped Image of Cricketer Smriti Mandhana with Lipstick and Fairer Skin Causes Outrage
- Apple MacBook Pro 16-inch Launched With a New Keyboard, Price Starts at Rs 1,99,900
- Ali Fazal's Reply to Fan's Request to Ask Girlfriend Richa Chaddha to Unblock Him Will Leave You in Splits
- IAF Rafale Fighter Jet: What Makes Dassault-Made Plane So Important for India
- Bigg Boss 13: Devoleena Calls Sidharth 'Kaamchor' and 'Magarmach', Twitterati Divide in Support