Why India Tweaked Protocol to Allow German Chancellor Angela Merkel to Sit Through National Anthem
Angela Merkel, during her two-day visit here, will hold extensive talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on further expanding overall bilateral ties.
Angela Merkel was allowed to sit through the National Anthem owing to her medical condition.
New Delhi: Owing to German Chancellor Angela Merkel's medical condition, India has accepted a request by the German government to allow her to remain seated while the national anthems of both countries are played during a ceremonial reception at Rashtrapati Bhavan on Friday.
It is learnt that certain provisions of the order relating to the National Anthem of India will be invoked to allow Merkel to be seated when the national anthem is played.
Merkel, during her two-day visit here, will hold extensive talks with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on further expanding overall bilateral ties. Chancellor Merkel's difficulties in standing without support are known and lately, she has been seen seated at ceremonial events, both at home and abroad, which would have normally required her to stand.
The exemption as per the order is being invoked based on a request from the German side to accommodate the Chancellor's wish to be accorded the ceremonial welcome, it is learnt.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Stone Tools Show Humans in India May have Survived Supervolcanic Eruption 74,000 Years Ago
- PUBG Mobile 0.17.0 Update Confirmed to Launch on March 3, Death Replay Confirmed
- Vivo Z6 5G With Qualcomm Snapdragon 765G Processor, 5,000mAh Battery Goes Official
- Gujarat Loves Sentimental Songs While It's Mushy Music For Bihar & West Bengal on Spotify
- Meet the Young Girls from a Maharashtra Village Trying to Represent India in World Robotics