With Bolsonaro as Chief Guest on Republic Day, India Honours Two Brazilian Women with Padma Shri
Gloria Areria was awarded for her contribution to literature and education and Lia Diskin was honoured for social work.
New Delhi: On the eve of the Republic Day which will have Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro as chief guest, India on Saturday honoured two inspirational Brazilian women Lia Diskin and Gloria Areria with Padma Shri.
While Areria was awarded for her contribution to literature and education, Diskin was honoured for social work. Diskin, a Gandhian, has been disseminating Mahatma Gandhi's philosophy in Brazil and Latin America for almost 30 years.
Areria, a resident of Rio De Janerio in Brazil, is a Sanskrit scholar and Vedanta teacher.
"Honouring our greatest treasure -- our people. On the eve of the 71st Republic Day graced by the Brazilian Pres Jair Bolsonaro as the Chief Guest, India honours two inspirational Brazilian women Lia Diskin & Gloria Areria with Padma Shri, our 4th highest civilian award," Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said in a tweet.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- How Taapsee Pannu's Thappad Has the Potential to Address the Elephant in the Room
- Have Told Aditya Narayan to Marry Neha Kakkar but He Ignored, Says Udit Naryan
- Katrina Kaif Trolls Arjun Kapoor on Instagram, His Reply will Leave You in Splits
- Ever Wondered How Apollo 13 Astronauts Saw The Moon? NASA Has a Video You Must See
- Responsible Doggo Shows up at Police Station to 'File' a Missing Report of Himself