Yoga Makes it to UNESCO's Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity
Yoga now joins UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity after an Indian proposal in this regard was unanimously supported by all the 24 members of the Intergovernmental Committee of the body at its session in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Students practice yoga during International Yoga Day celebrations. (AP)
New Delhi: Yoga now joins UNESCO’s list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity after an Indian proposal in this regard was unanimously supported by all the 24 members of the Intergovernmental Committee of the body at its session in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Yoga thus becomes the 13th intangible cultural heritage that has been listed from India so far with UNESCO, according to a release by the Ministry of Culture.
India’s existing entries include the Chhau dance (inscribed in 2010), the Buddhist chanting of Ladakh (2012), Sankirtana – the ritual singing, drumming, and dancing of Manipur (2013) – the traditional brass and copper craft of utensil making among the Thatheras of Jandiala Guru, Punjab (2014) and Ramlila- the traditional performance of the Ramayana (2008).
“Prime Minister Narendra Modi has played a key role in having the United Nation declare June 21st as the International Yoga Day in 2014. Government of India has been taking forward the momentum created by celebration of International Yoga Day in 2015 and 2016 with greater and more active participation of youth & other stakeholders of the community. The government has continuously been promoting Yoga as a human treasure and a key to noble health,” the release said.
Recommended For You
- Ranbir and Deepika Again: Ex-Flames Walk the Ramp For Mijwan Fashion Show
- No Williams Sisters, No Problem as USA Target Fed Cup Final Return
- Indian Football Will Benefit From Corporate Investment at Grassroots, Says Eugeneson Lyngdoh
- Beyond The Clouds Review: Despite the Bollywood Cliches, Majid Majidi's Film Will Win Hearts
- Priyanka Chopra Elated To See Deepika Padukone, Virat Kohli Feature in Time 100 Influential People of 2018 List