Know Your Spices: Health Benefits of Star Anise And Recipes You Can Try
Star anise, also called as staranise, star anise seed, Chinese star anise or badiam, is an age-old spice also known for its medicinal properties.
Photo courtesy: Reuters
Star anise, also called as staranise, star anise seed, Chinese star anise or badiam, is an age-old spice also known for its medicinal properties. Originated in south China, star anise is used as an exotic spice in Indian as well as in Chinese cuisines.
Star anise oil is a highly fragrant oil used in cooking, perfumery, soaps, toothpastes, mouthwashes, and skin creams. Including star anise in your diet can have health benefits.
Here is a list of health benefits.
1. Rich in antioxidants and vitamin A and C, it helps fight radicals responsible for ageing and diabetes.
2. It aids digesting and relieves digestive ailments such as bloating, gas, indigestion and constipation.
3. It also provides relief from cramps and nausea.
4. Drinking a glass of water infused with seeds of star anise can help increase sex drive.
Spicy braised chicken
Chopped green onions
Hot chili sauce
Take a large pot and heat peanut oil.
Add chicken and saute till brown.
Remove from pan.
Add onion, garlic and ginger to the pot and saute.
Add chicken, chicken broth, hoisin sauce and star anise.
Bring it to boil.
Reduce flame and cook till chicken is cooked.
Remove chicken from pot and let it cool slightly before you remove the skin and the bones.
Cut the meat into half inch wide strips.
Boil the rest of mixture until reduced to 2 1/2 cups.
Add chilli sauce and bring the mixture to boil.
Add chicken and cook till heated through.
Remove from heat and garnish it with grean onions before serving.
Coriander seed powder
Cumin seed powder
Red chili powder
Green cardamom pods
Remove the eye of tomato and boil it till the skin begins to peel off.
Drain water and allow it to cool.
Remove the peel from the tomatoes.
Peel the potatoes and cut them in cubes.
Take a blender and grind peeled tomatoes, coconut, coriander seed powder, cumin seed powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and about ½ a cup of water.
Take a deep bottom pan and add oil.
Add star anise, cloves, peppercorns, cardamom pods and cinnamon.
Add asafetida, fresh ginger and stir for 30 seconds.
Add the potatoes and mix well.
Cook till the potatoes turn tender.
Add the paste and salt.
Pour some water to maintain the gravy consistency.
Let it simmer and then remove from heat.
Recommended For You
- Watch Keshav Suri, Lalit Hotel Scion and LGBTQ Activist, Dance in Drag With His Mother
- Kim sharma Shares Adorable Birthday Wish For Rumoured Boyfriend Harshvardhan Rane, See Post
- OnePlus 6T McLaren Edition Review: Doffing The Hat to McLaren Inspiration
- Microsoft Surface Go is Coming Soon to India, Will be Available Exclusively on Flipkart
- PUBG Vikendi Snow Map to be Released on 20 December 2018: Watch Video
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s