Gal Gadot Sparks Row by Flaunting a Lebanese Brand
Can fashion have a nationality?
(Representative Image: AP)
Lebanese fashion brand Elie Saab faced backlash for sharing a photograph of Israeli actress Gal Gadot wearing a dress from its collection.
The "Wonder Woman" wore a blue sash dress by the designer for the National Board of Review Awards Gala here earlier this week.
Elie Saab's Instagram page then posted an image of Gadot, with a description of the "flawless" actress in the brand's Ready-to-Wear Spring Summer 2018.
Since there are tensions between Israel and Lebanon, the post immediately sparked a backlash online before being removed altogether, reports dailymail.co.uk.
A Lebanese journalist Heba Bitar commented on social media: "I love and respect Elie Saab, but is he really happy an Israeli actress wore a dress he designed?'
Another social media user wrote: "I'm not gonna ask why would she wear Elie Saab... but I'm asking why would his team post it? Unacceptable!"
Last year, Gadot's superhero film "Wonder Woman" was banned from Lebanese cinemas.
Gadot had served for two years in the Israeli army as a combat trainer, and Lebanon's Ministry of Economy issued the ban just before the film was scheduled to premiere.
It was reportedly blocked by the government because of the star's nationality and her support for Israel's army.
Recommended For You
- ICC World Cup 2019: Pakistan Team Adhered to Curfew Before India Clash: PCB
- Pakistan Fans Trashing Their Own Team After India’s World Cup Victory is Pure Gold
- Game of Thrones Star Sophie Turner to Play Boy George in His Biopic?
- NASA Just Found Stark Trek's 'Starfleet' Insignia On Surface of Mars
- Sudan-Bound Turkish Airlines Flight Returned to Istanbul After a Passenger Creates Ruckus Midair
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s