LGBT Rainbow Flag Creator Gilbert Baker Dead
Gilbert Baker, the San-Francisco-based artist who created the rainbow flag as a symbol for the gay community, has died. He was 65.
File images of Rainbow Flag Creator Gilbert Baker. (Image: Getty Images)
New York: Gilbert Baker, the San-Francisco-based artist who created the rainbow flag as a symbol for the gay community, has died. He was 65.
Baker died in his sleep at his home on Thursday night, BBC reported.
He initially designed an eight-colour flag in 1978 for the city's gay freedom day, the precursor to the modern pride parade.
"Rainbows weep. Our world is far less colourful without you, my love. Gilbert Baker gave us the rainbow flag to unite us. Unite again," Screenwriter Dustin Lance Black tweeted.
California Senator Scott Weiner said Baker's work "helped define the modern LGBT movement".
"Rest in power, Gilbert," he said.
The former US Army soldier who taught himself to sew, proposed the rainbow flag at a time when San Francisco's gay and lesbian community was struggling to find a symbol to unite under.
He personally rejected other ideas: the pink triangle, a Nazi badge reclaimed by gay activists that Baker found depressing, and the Greek letter lambda, which he deemed too obscure, San Francisco Chronicle reported.
Baker said he wanted to convey the idea of diversity and inclusion, using "something from nature to represent that our sexuality is a human right".
New York's Museum of Modern Art in 2015 acquired the flag for its design collection, calling it a "powerful design milestone".
"I decided that we should have a flag, that a flag fit us as a symbol, that we are a people, a tribe if you will," Baker had told the Museum.
"And flags are about proclaiming power, so it's very appropriate."
Recommended For You
- Ex-Couple Sushant Singh Rajput, Ankita Lokhande's Sweet Exchange on Instagram is Unmissable
- Fashion Trends Poo Flaunted in Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham are Relevant Even After 17 Years
- Have You Read What Saif Ali Khan Told Smriti Irani When She Moved to Mumbai 23 Years Ago?
- Oprah Winfrey Finally Reveals What She Felt After Tasting a Million Dollar 'Unseasoned Chicken' Recipe
- Alia Bhatt Gives Hilarious Response to a Fan Who Asked If He Could Call Her 'Alia Kapoor'
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s