Miss America To End Swimsuit Competition
Miss America will scrap the bikini segment from this year's edition.
(Image: Getty Images)
In a bid to end sexism, the Miss America beauty pageant's organizers on Tuesday announced they will scrap the bikini segment from this year's edition, a media report said.
"We are not going to judge you on your outward appearance," Gretchen Carlson, a former Fox News anchor who is now the organization's chairwoman, said on ABC's "Good Morning America", reported the New York Times.
"We want more women to know that they are welcome in this organization."
While the Miss America Organization had long defended the segment where women posed in skimpy swimsuits as a measure of the women's physical fitness, it has now decided to remove it in wake of a harassment scandal it faces and in view of the #MeToo movement.
Carlson said the competition would focus more on the contestants' talents, intelligence and ideas.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Doing a Bamboozle: Meet Astro, the Robodog 'Inspired' by the Human Brain
- Parineeti Chopra Looks Dishevelled And Bloodied in 'The Girl On The Train' First Look
- 'TB Survivor' Amitabh Bachchan: 75 Percent of My Liver is Gone, Still Surviving on 25 Percent
- Woman Sets Fire to Creepy 'It' Clown Doll which Floated into Her Backyard
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy