Each year on January 26, the nation celebrates Republic day to honour the date on which our constitution -- which elaborately defines the principles and rights of the citizens, upon which the country functions -- came into effect in 1950. And ever since 1950, this date holds a special and integral place in the hearts of millions of Indians across the globe.
And while the central and state governments make elaborate arrangements to celebrate the day in the national capital and states respectively, people across the country also commemorate the day in one manner or another.
From holding parades in localities to organising fancy dress competitions with patriotism or revolutionary leaders as the underlying theme, there are various ways in which citizens of the nation participate in celebrating Republic Day. In fact, one of the most common things that people do on this day, besides going on a short break and listening to patriotic songs on radio of course, is sport outfits that exude a patriotic spirit.
On this day, a lot of people are seen donning outfits that have colours of the national flag -- saffron, white, green and even the blue of the Ashok Chakra, as a mark of respect towards the flag, the country and the special day.
So, if you too wish to soak yourself in patriotism and want to up your fashion game by flaunting the colors of the Indian flag in a way or two and still look stylish as ever, here are some awesome ways in which you can achieve the perfect look.
From sarees to kurtis, here’s a list of everything you can sport. And in case, you aren’t in the mood to go ethnic, we have some other mind-blowing suggestions for you too.
Take a look.
- Print dress layered with a printed jacket: “Who says you need to don only ethnic ensembles on Republic day, when you can look glamorously desi in western silhouettes as well. My pick is an emerald green and orange print dress that you can layer with a printed jacket to counter the nip in the air. Not in the mood to go all out? Show your patriotic day spirit with a saffron scarf that can be styled in a myriad of ways,” said designer duo Saaksha and Kinni in an exclusive conversation with News18.com.(Photo: Outfit designed by Saaksha & Kinni/ Image for representation)
- Overlapped jacket layered over a basic kurta: Designer Kunal Anil Tanna suggests that one must ditch the boring white and orange kurtas for modern silhouettes that can really amp one's style ante.
Kunal suggests an overlapped jacket in muted hues of greens and blues, layered over a basic kurta that can give a refreshing twist to your overall look.
One could also try fitted jackets with upturned collars to make a statement.(Photo: Outfits designed by Designer Kunal Anil Tanna/ Image for representation)
- Green trench coat dress: Designer Rutu Neeva suggests a green trench coat to up your style game this Republic day. “There is so much you can do with the four colours of the Indian flag. However, we recommend adding an edgy twist to your look this year, by opting for a green trench coat dress that checks all the right boxes. You can style it with some cool accessories for your Republic day party,” Rutu said.(Photo: Outfit designed by Rutu Neeva/ Image for representation)
- Saree: “One can drape saffron, white or green solid color saree on the occasion since the traditional six-yard wonder is considered the quintessential Indian attire,” said designer Sumona Parekh of Label Sumona Couture. She added, “a white saree with green and saffron border or patches would be perfect to be worn in schools, college and offices. For the cultural event, select silk or banarsi saree to wear on the occasion in colour that almost lookalike saffron and green. One can play with their blouse designs and patterns to rock their simple sarees.”
- Kurti: Designer Sumana also suggested that one could opt for a white cotton kurta and team it up with a beautiful tricoloured dupatta for the day. In fact, teaming a white Kirti with colourful palazzos or a patiala is another great and safe option.
- Stole/Scarf/Shrugs: Team your outfits with an interesting outerwear or add-ons to give it a perfect Republic Day kind of a feel and twist. Sport a tricolour stole/scarf around the neck to keep the Republic spirit intact and at the same time keeping yourselves warm. Customised shrugs, jackets and capes can also make you look fabulous on this special day.
"When it comes to men's fashion, you can wrap a saffron colored scarf on a white chikankari kurta. For a more ethnic look, the scarf can be worn as a turban too. It looks sophisticated and traditional at the same time," said designer Sunil Mehra.(Photo: Designed by designer Sunil Mehra/ Image for representation)
- Embellished or simple juttis: If you aren't one to sport saffron, you can experiment with the blue in the Indian flag. You can opt for a fantastic pair of juttis with a twist and make a statement this Republic Day. "Juttis are very versatile and can be paired with everything—from quirky dhoti pants, exquisite lehengas to breezy bohemian ensembles. For Republic day, you can opt for pairs in blue and green hues replete with gorgeous embellishments, to add the right spot of colour to your overall look,” said Laksheeta Govil of Fizzy Goblet in an exclusive chat with News18.com.
In fact, you can try all sorts of colours in juttis and see what works for you best. A little embelishment works well too.(Photo: Juttis designed by Fizzy Goblet/ Image for representation)