Samosa on Your Mind? Here’s a Simple Recipe to Help Cook Your Favourite Snack
Craving a hot samosa? Check out a simple recipe for making India's favourite snack at home.
File photo of Samosa
Since the coronavirus became a pandemic, the World Health Organisation has advised citizens of the world to quarantine themselves and avoid unnecessary travel as a precautionary step to fight the deadly COVID-19. People have given in to the non-availability of domestic help to accomplish our day-to-day activities amidst the lockdown. In these trying times, when many of you are getting by with three meals a day with great difficulty, it feels like a far-fetched desire to satiate favourite food pangs.
Not all of us are blessed with exceptional culinary expertise and can cook up a great deal for themselves.
However, wouldn’t it be a blessing if there are some easy homemade recipes to help bust foodie’s stress?
Here’s a simple recipe which promises delicious results if you are majorly missing that plateful of samosas. Just with the help of a few easy-to-find ingredients at home, you will be dishing out your favourite snack with you licking your fingers by the end of it.
Ingredients needed to make veg samosas
1. 2 cup maida / plain flour
2. ½ cup water
3. ¼ tsp ajwain (carom seeds); ½ tsp salt and ¼ cup oil
4. 2 tsp oil
5. 1 tsp cumin / jeera; ½ tsp crushed coriander seeds; ½ tsp saunf(fennel); pinch hing (asafetida)
6. About an inch of finely chopped ginger
7. 1 finely chopped green chilli
8. ½ cup matar(peas)
9. ½ tsp red chilli powder; ½ tsp coriander powder; ¼ tsp jeera (cumin) powder; ½ tsp aamchur( dry mango powder); ½ tsp garam masala; ¼ tsp crushed pepper.
10. 4 boiled & mashed potato
11. 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
Salt according to taste
Note: You can make samosas by using any stuffing of your choice, be it the good-ol’ aloo, chow or sweetcorn.
Mix all the dry ingredients first and start kneading by slowly adding water. Check the texture and include oil when it starts coming together.
(Note: It’s actually quite simple though however if this part seems rather tough, think of the clay-play days during childhood.)
Mix all the ingredients thoroughly, make sure all the components are evenly distributed.
Step 1: Squeeze a ball sized dough and roll it into an oval shape.
Step 2: Divide it into 2 equal halves with a knife.
Step 3: Dab it with water and form a cone out of it carefully.
Step 4: Stuff a spoonful of primed masala inside the cone.
Step 5: Repeat step 3 on the edges this time.
Step 6: Press the edges together and seal it firmly.
Step 7: Deep-fry the samosa in a heated pan with oil over low flame.
Step 8: Stir the samosa occasionally, for at least 15 minutes.
Finally, drain off the samosa over kitchen paper once it turns golden.
Follow News18 Lifestyle for more
Support the daily wage earners who have been hit the hardest by the COVID-19 crisis. Click here to contribute to the cause. #IndiaGives
The daily News18 Coronavirus COVID-19 newsletter - Get your copy here.
Recommended For You
- Is Google Ready to Invest in Vodafone Idea? Reports Indicate Google’s Latest India Push
- Ranveer Singh Cheering for Deepika Padukone as She Dances with Ranbir Kapoor is Couple Goals
- Arjun Reddy Actress Sai Sudha Gets Cinematographer Shyam K Naidu Arrested for Allegedly Cheating Her
- Citius, Altius, Fortius: How New Noida DM is Winning Social Media while Fighting Covid-19
- Airtel Partners With Nodwin Gaming, Launches 'Airtel India Esports Tour’