Disney Channel Introduces Gay Storyline For The First Time In Its Shows
This story arc is a first for the network, as it is for the first time that they are telling the story of a character who is on a journey of realising his or her sexual orientation.
A still from Andi Mack. (Youtube/Disney)
Los Angeles Disney Channel is introducing a gay storyline into one of its shows for the first time. Andi Mack, a coming-of-age drama, will feature one of the show's main characters grappling with feelings for a male classmate.
The show is currently in its second season. The drama by Terri Minsky, revolves around a 13-year-old girl Andi, her family and her two best friends -- Cyrus and Buffy, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
"Andi Mack is a story about tweens figuring out who they are; Terri Minsky, the cast and everyone involved in the show takes great care in ensuring that it's appropriate for all audiences and sends a powerful message about inclusion and respect for humanity," a Disney Channel spokesperson said in a statement.
Disney Channel has featured gay characters before, appearing in single episodes of shows like "Good Luck Charlie" and the animated "Doc McStuffins".
However, this story arc is a first for the network, as it is for the first time that they are telling the story of a character who is on a journey of realising his or her sexual orientation.
Recommended For You
- Patriotism Should Be In Your Hearts, Not Hands: Don't Buy a Tiranga This Independence Day
- The Internet Cannot Stop Making Memes on Anushka Sharma's 'Sui Dhaaga'
- OnePlus 6T Render Videos Show Triple Camera Setup, In-Display Fingerprint Sensor
- Check Out the First Posters of Parineeti Chopra and Arjun Kapoor’s Namaste England
- A Taxi Driver From Mumbai is Now Campaigning For Water Conservation and Changing Lives