Disney Channel Introduces Gay Storyline For The First Time In Its Shows
This story arc is a first for the network, as it is for the first time that they are telling the story of a character who is on a journey of realising his or her sexual orientation.
A still from Andi Mack. (Youtube/Disney)
Los Angeles Disney Channel is introducing a gay storyline into one of its shows for the first time. Andi Mack, a coming-of-age drama, will feature one of the show's main characters grappling with feelings for a male classmate.
The show is currently in its second season. The drama by Terri Minsky, revolves around a 13-year-old girl Andi, her family and her two best friends -- Cyrus and Buffy, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
"Andi Mack is a story about tweens figuring out who they are; Terri Minsky, the cast and everyone involved in the show takes great care in ensuring that it's appropriate for all audiences and sends a powerful message about inclusion and respect for humanity," a Disney Channel spokesperson said in a statement.
Disney Channel has featured gay characters before, appearing in single episodes of shows like "Good Luck Charlie" and the animated "Doc McStuffins".
However, this story arc is a first for the network, as it is for the first time that they are telling the story of a character who is on a journey of realising his or her sexual orientation.
Recommended For You
- Ravindra Jadeja's Wife Riva Solanki Attacked by Police Constable in Jamnagar: Reports
- 13 Reason Why Season 2 is a Kind Closure for the Series' Fans
- Samsung Galaxy A6+ First Impressions Review: A Complete Package
- Samsung Galaxy J6 First Impressions Review: Samsung's Premium Features in a Budget
- Watch: Madhuri Dixit & Renuka Shahane Dancing on Lo Chali Main Will Give You Major '90s Nostalgia