Game of Thrones Season 8: Twitter is Convinced The Night King is a Targaryen
Game Of Thrones fans have been convinced that The Night King is a Targaryen because his fiery spiral resembled the house sigil and he rode an ice dragon.
Image courtesy: Game of Thrones/Hotstar
Game of Thrones fans have been convinced that The Night King is a Targaryen because his fiery spiral resembled the house sigil and he rode an ice dragon.
At the end of the Game of Thrones season 8 premiere, Tormund and Beric Dondarrion find Ned Umber (Lord Umber) impaled to a wall surrounded by a bunch of severed limbs, arranged into a spiral pattern by the White Walkers.
Lord Umber suddenly wakes up and starts screaming when the Brotherhood Without Banners burn him alive in the middle of a fiery spiral which appears to take the shape of a Targaryen sigil.
Fans pointed out the Night King's fire symbol at the end of season eight episode one had the hallmarks of a three-headed dragon which is the sigil of House Targaryen.
American screenwriter David Benioff also recently pointed out that only Targaryens can ride dragons when he spoke in the Inside The Episode documentary segment.
One user wrote, "I’m convinced the night king is a Targaryen and he is coming to claim the throne. Only a Targaryen can ride a dragon #GameofThones."
Another one tweeted, "What if Jon snow's real dad is the Night king! I know they said Rhaegar Targaryen died in battle but what if he didn't and was given to the children of the forest as a sacrifice by the Baratheons. They never say the name of the man who was turned into the knight king."
Yo!!!! What if!!!!! Jon snows real dad is the Night king!! I know they said Rhaegar Targaryen died in battle but what if he didn't and was given to the children of the forest as a sacrifice by the barathians. They never say the name of the man who was turned into the knight king— Joseph Miller (@CoachJMiller56) April 15, 2019
2) Remember the spiral symbol we've seen at the Fist of the First Men and in the cave at Dragonstone? That’s House Targaryen's coat-of-arms! I have no idea what it means, but THERE IS a connection between the Night King and the Targaryens.#GameofThrones#GameofThronesSeason8 pic.twitter.com/0YQCWhe6XC— Mortaretto81 (@Mortaretto81) April 14, 2019
The night king is Aerys Targaryen. Jamie killed Aerys and Jamie paralyzed Bran. Bran forgives Jamie , Jamie will sacrifice himself trying to kill night king to save the rest and restore his honor. Daenerys doesn’t wanna give up throne - she becomes mad. Jon snow kills Daenerys— P (@salva) April 16, 2019
Meanwhile, speaking to the New York Post in a wide-ranging interview, season 8 premiere's writer David Hill explained what The Night King's sigil actually meant.
"As we saw with Bran and the Three-Eyed Raven, the spiral pattern was sacred to the Children of the Forest, who created the Night King by sacrificing a captured man in a spiral 'henge of stones'.
"The Night King then adopted the symbol as a sort of blasphemy, like Satan with the upside-down cross," Hill said.
Follow @News18Movies for more
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Delhi Cab Drivers Carry Condoms in First-Aid Box and it's Not Just for Safe Sex
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Netizens Troll Sonakshi Sinha After She Fails to Answer Simple Ramayan Question on KBC 11
- Katrina Kaif and Arjun Kapoor Save a Paparazzi From Getting Hurt; Watch Video
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year